Health Records

Every time you visit the Student Health Center, your health care provider enters information about the care you receive in your medical record. For example, your medical record may include your lab or X-ray reports, information about your prescription medications, or a physician’s notes about your illness or injury.

Trained professional staff in the Health Information Management (HIM) department make certain that your medical records are up-to-date, complete, and available to you. Because the federal laws HIPAA and FERPA require us to keep your health information confidential, Student Health stores your health record in a technologically state-of-the-art Electronic Health Records (EHR) system. The EHR system both secures the privacy and confidentiality of your protected health information (PHI) and ensures your easy access to it.

How to Obtain Your Health Records

In order to:

  • Receive a copy of your medical records
  • Have your medical records sent to a third party

Please download and complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form. You can fax (1.888.972.4151), email (, mail (see address below) or bring your completed authorization form to the Health Information Management (HIM) department in Student Health. This authorization must be accompanied by a copy of photo identification.

Mailing Address:

NC State Student Health Services, HIM Department

2815 Cates Avenue

Campus Box 7304

Raleigh, NC 27695-7304


Costs and Delivery

Copies of your record to healthcare providers:

We will send your medical records to your physician or provider for free. However, you must authorize each recipient to receive either Medical or Immunization records in writing. We can either mail or fax copies of your records to health care providers. Giving us the recipient name, address and/or fax number will expedite the process.

Copies of your immunization records to you:

We will release copies of your immunization records to you for free. You can either have your health records mailed to you or you may pick them up at the Student Health Center.

Copies of your health record to you:

There is a $10.00 minimum fee for releasing paper health records to you. This $10.00 fee includes health records up to 40 pages. After 40 pages a charge of $0.25 per page will be added.

You can either have your health records mailed to you or you may pick them up at the Student Health Center. If you request your health records be mailed to you we will include the cost of postage, delivery confirmation and tracking in the price we quote. There may be additional charges for rush service. Payment must be made to the Cashier’s Office in the Student Health in advance of mailing, or picking up your records. This can be done in person, by mailing a check, or by calling in your credit card information (919.513.2544).

Our Health Information Management staff is happy to answer any questions you may have. Please call 919.513.2544 or email for assistance.


Check the Status of Your Health Records Request

Please allow at least two weeks before calling to check the status of your request for medical records. If you need to meet a deadline, call 919.513.2544. We will do our best to accommodate you. We are allowed 30 days to fulfill requests, but we often complete requests in a matter of days. If you need further assistance, please call 919.513.2544.


Laws Around the Release of Health Records

Student Health adheres to both state and federal laws that protect the confidentiality of your medical records. Federal law only allows the Student Health Center to release your protected health information (PHI) to anyone (including parents and faculty) with your expressed written permission, except under certain very rare circumstances.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) govern the release of students’ medical records. The Student Health Center only releases a student’s medical records to parents or guardians in two cases:

  • If the student is under the age of eighteen.
  • If the student gives written consent for release.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) also governs the release of non-student medical records. The Student Health Center will release protected health information (PHI) to designees upon receipt of written authorization. We recommend that you review the university policy on FERPA as well.


Health Records Retention

Student Health retains all records for ten years. Read more about records retention and disposition at:


Amendments to Your Medical Record

You may request that certain information in your medical record be amended. For details, our Health Information Management staff by phone at 919.515.2563 or by email (


Additional Information or Inquiries

Our Health Information Management staff is happy to answer any questions you may have. Please call 919.515.2563 or email for assistance.

To request additional information or report problems, both students and non-students may contact the NC State Privacy Officer at 919.515.6122. Written complaints regarding privacy rights violations may be sent to the NC State University Privacy Officer.

Mailing Address:

University Privacy Officer

Campus Box 7521

NC State University

Raleigh, NC 27695


Students may also follow the Student Grievance Procedure for undergraduates or for graduate students for matters relating to medical records. If the matter is not resolved, you may also file a complaint with the Secretary of Health and Human Services or the Family Compliance Office, US Dept. of Education.