The biggest myth we hear circulating around campus every flu season is “one year I got the flu shot, and it caused me get the flu”. This statement is FALSE, the flu vaccine cannot cause illness. The flu shot given at Student Health Services is made with flu viruses that have been ‘inactivated’ therefore are not infectious.
Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the flu virus that affect the nose, throat and lungs. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting the flu vaccine each year! Student Health Services will be administering the Flucelvex Quadrivalent Preservative Free Vaccine this year. The quadrivalent vaccine is created and updated each year to match the circulating flu viruses. Since the vaccine is preservative free, it is safe for those who are pregnant.
Flu shots are NOW AVAILABLE at Student Health by appointment. From September – January we will be offering flu shots across campus from Talley Student Union to the Engineering Buildings on Centennial Campus. You do not need an appointment to get your flu shot at one of our across campus clinics. There are three ways to get your flu shot from Student Health this year:
- Attend an on campus clinic
- At the SHS Pharmacy without an appointment:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Make an appointment at Student Health online through the HealthyPackPortal or by calling 919.515.2563. If you already have an appointment scheduled at Student Health for a non-related reason, you can ask to receive a flu shot during your visit.
Although getting the flu shot is the best way you can prevent the flu, you can also prevent the flu by frequently washing your hands.
For more information about the flu, visit the Center for Disease Controls website.