2017 Spring Connections Students
Welcome to NC State! We hope that your time here will be healthy, happy and always intellectually stimulating. The following information about immunization requirements, health insurance, health fees, forms, and services that we provide may help you in your transition as a new member of the pack.
For Insurance Compliance
- Enroll or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan. The Spring 2018 waive/enrollment portal will open on November 1, 2017 and will close on January 31, 2018.
- Get a copy of your insurance card before arriving to campus (hard copy or picture)
- Upload a copy of your insurance card to the HealthyPackPortal (the HealthyPackPortal will be available after October 20th)
For Immunization Compliance
- Submit immunization documentation to Student Health Services before start of class
- Complete TB questionnaire and Health History Form online via the HealthyPackPortal (the HealthyPackPortal will be available after October 20th)
General Student Health
- Transfer your prescriptions to the Student Health Pharmacy by calling 919.515.5040
- Get your flu shot at one of our clinics on campus (September-January)
Access to Care, Charges and Fees
The Student Health Fee, as part of the tuition and fees package, allows eligible students the convenience of accessing health care on campus. The fee covers the cost of most routine visits. Fees do apply for services such as labs, X-rays, immunizations, physicals, and procedures. Services rendered by specialty clinics are billed by the specialists.
We are currently in-network with most Aetna, Blue Cross and Blue Shield (including Student Blue) Cigna and United Health Care plans. Charges not paid at the time of service are billed to the student’s account through the University Cashier’s Office.
NC State students are required to have insurance while enrolled at NC State. There are two options for student coverage.
1.Remain on parent/guardian’s plan: If the parent or guardian of the student has credible insurance and would like for the student to stay on their plan, they can submit a waiver for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
Steps to Waive
- Access student blue website www.bcbsnc.com/ncsu
- Click “Waive” on top bar
- Then click “Request a Waiver”
- If you are a new user, click the “New User” tab then click “Request Waiver”. You will then create your account using your student ID and DOB.
- Fill In all required fields and submit. Once proof of insurance is given and approved, the Mandatory Insurance charge of $1,270 will be removed from the student account. *This waiver must be completed every semester (Fall and Spring).
2. Enroll into the Student Health Insurance Plan:
Steps to Enroll
- Access student blue website www.bcbsnc.com/ncsu
- Click “Enroll” on top bar and complete quick eligibility questionnaire
- Select “Enroll Now”
- If you are a new user, click the “New User” tab then click “Enroll”. You will then create your account using your student ID and DOB.
- Fill In all required fields and submit. You should then receive your enrollment confirmation via email. Your insurance card should arrive within 2 weeks at the address you provided on your registration.
Students are required by North Carolina Public Health Law to provide proof of immunizations prior to the start of classes. Each student must complete an online Health History Form and TB Questionnaire located on the healthypackportal (this option will be available after October 20). Detailed information regarding Immunization Requirements is provided on our Immunization and TB Compliance Page.
Step 1: Send Us a Copy of Your Immunization Record
We are required by law to have a copy of your immunization record. The record must have a health care provider’s name and address or clinic stamp with provider name and address.
Immunization Records can be submitted through:
- Document upload via the HealthyPackPortal (this option will be available after October 20)
- Fax: 888.972.4149
- Drop off at Student Health
- Mail: North Carolina State University, Student Health Services
2815 Cates Ave.
Raleigh, NC 27695-7304
The Immunization Staff will send the student a secure email via the HealthyPackPortal if there are any issues with records submitted.
Immunization Document Checklist:
- Must have an official address. Clinic stamp or signature and address of medical provider
- Must have Student’s First and Last name.
- Must have Student’s Date of Birth.
- All documents must be clear/legible
Step 2. Complete the Health History and TB Screening Forms Online
- Log into HealthyPackPortal (this option will be available after October 20)
- Select the “forms” tab at the top of the page to take you to a page that allows you to complete your Health History and TB Screening Forms. *Please note that the TB Questionnaire is only available on the HealthyPackPortal after you register for classes*
Phone Number: 1-919-515-7233 and 919-513-4302
Hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Tues: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
HIPAA Release Form / Consent For Care
HIPAA Release Form
If you would like to give your parent or guardian permission to access your medical records, you can complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form at the Student Health kiosk upon check in for an appointment.
Consent for Care Form
This form is for parents/guardians whose students are under age 18. Complete the Consent for Care form in order to authorize Student Health Services to provide medical services for students under 18.
Helpful Health Tips:
- Student Health Contact Info – Add our number (919.515.2563) to your contact list in your phone
- Insurance Card – Take a photo of all of your health insurance cards (medical, pharmacy, dental) to keep in your cell phone
- Schedule an initial visit at Student Health – Whether you have a chronic condition or are in need of an annual check-up, schedule a visit to get established as a patient.
- Dental Exam – Schedule a dental cleaning and screening with Campus Smiles located on campus
- Over the Counter Medications – Visit our retail Pharmacy to purchase first aid kits and over-the-counter medicine needs
- Allergy Serums – Transfer allergy serums and orders over to our Allergy Clinic to avoid interruption of care
- Follow us on our social media for updates and events: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
To learn more about the services offered at NC State Student Health, check out our Care Provided page.
Myths About Student Health:
- I don’t have Student Blue so I can’t use Student Health.
- Not true! A Student Health fee is included in your tuition and fees. This allows eligible students access to the services offered at Student Health.
- Student Health doesn’t have real doctors.
- Student Health is staffed with experienced, board-certified physicians and licensed professionals.
- I cannot have my prescriptions filled at the SHS pharmacy if a Student Health provider didn’t prescribe it.
- We fill prescriptions from both on and off-campus providers! We will gladly help you arrange prescription transfers as well. We accept most insurances.
- The only way to schedule an appointment at Student Health is to call.
- Not true! HealthyPackPortal, is an online patient portal where students can schedule appointments, refill prescriptions, complete forms and communicate with Student Health.
- If you send your charges to your student account, your parents/guardians will know why you went to Student Health.
- Your privacy is protected when you come to see us. Your charge will appear as a “Student Health charge” on your account and will not give the reason of your visit. Filing insurance does work a little differently. We do advise that insurance documentation, if received by your parents, may have more specific details about your visit such as what labs were performed or what diagnosis was given.