Welcome to NC State! We hope that your time here will be healthy, happy and always intellectually stimulating. The following information about immunization requirements, health insurance, health fees, forms, and services that we provide may help you in your transition as a new member of the pack.
For Insurance Compliance
- Enroll or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan by September 10, 2019
- Get a copy of your insurance card before arriving to campus (hard copy or picture)
For Immunization Compliance
- Submit immunization documentation to Student Health Services, via the HealthyPack Portal within 30 days of registration of classes
- Use the Portal to enter immunization dates and upload supporting documents
- Complete TB questionnaire and Health History Form online via the HealthyPackPortal
General Student Health
- Transfer your prescriptions to the Student Health Pharmacy by calling 919.515.5040
- Get your flu shot at one of our clinics on campus (September-January)
Access to Care, Charges and Fees
The Student Health Fee, as part of the tuition and fees package, allows eligible students the convenience of accessing health care on campus. The fee covers the cost of most routine visits. Fees do apply for services such as labs, X-rays, immunizations, physicals, and procedures. Services rendered by specialty clinics are billed by the specialists.
We are currently in-network* with most Aetna, Blue Cross and Blue Shield (including Student Blue) and Cigna and United Healthcare plans. Charges not paid at the time of service are billed to the student’s account through the University Cashier’s Office. Please call your insurance company prior to your visit to ensure that your exact plan is in network with our office.
Student Health Insurance Requirement
NC State students, who are eligible (learn more about eligibility by clicking here), are required to have insurance while enrolled at NC State. Students have two options for coverage. The first option is that the student can remain on a parent/guardian/exiting plan and complete a waiver for Student Blue coverage. The second option is that the student can choose to enroll into Student Blue health insurance. Students must be registered for classes (eligible) prior to completing the waiver or enrollment for Student Blue.
1. Waive Student Blue and remain on existing insurance plan: If the parent or guardian of the student has credible insurance and would like for the student to stay on their plan, they can submit a waiver for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The Student Blue portal is now open and will close on September 10, 2019.
STEPS TO WAIVE
- Visit the Student Blue website www.bcbsnc.com/ncsu
- Click “Waive” on top bar
- Then click “Request a Waiver”
- If you are a new user, click the “New User” tab then click “Request Waiver”. You will then create your account using your student ID and DOB.
- Fill in all required fields and submit. Once proof of insurance is given and approved, the Mandatory Insurance charge will be removed from the student account or will be reimbursed if tuition has already been paid. *This waiver must be completed every semester (Fall & Spring).
2. Enroll into the Student Health Insurance Plan (Student Blue): If you would like to purchase the Student Blue Health Insurance plan follow these steps.
STEPS TO ENROLL
- Visit the Student Blue website www.bcbsnc.com/ncsu
- Click “Enroll” on top bar and complete quick eligibility questionnaire
- Select “Enroll Now”
- If you are a new user, click the “New User” tab then click “Enroll”. You will then create your account using your student ID and DOB.
- Fill In all required fields and submit. You should then receive your enrollment confirmation via email. Your insurance card should arrive (at the address you provided) within 2 weeks at the address you provided on your registration.
The Student Blue Fall plan runs August 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019 and the Spring plan runs January 1, 2020 – July 31, 2020.
Students are required by North Carolina Public Health Law to provide proof of immunizations prior to the start of classes (Deadline is 30 days from registration of classes). Detailed information regarding Immunization Requirements are provided on our Immunization and TB Compliance Page.
Step 1: Enter the dates you received your immunizations and upload appropriate documentation
- Visit the HealthyPack Portal (https://sso.medicatconnect.com)
- Choose ‘North Carolina State University’ from the drop down menu
- Log into the HealthyPack Portal with your Unity ID and password
- Enter immunization dates using Immunization tab and click the ‘Submit’ button
- Upload immunization documents using the Upload tab. Choose the document type from the drop down menu, select file and press upload.
- Note: When uploading documents, only JPEG and PDF files formats are accepted
The Immunization Staff will send the student a secure message via the HealthyPackPortal if there are any issues with the records submitted. Allow 10 business days for a response once documents have been submitted.
Immunization Documentation Checklist:
- Must have an official address. Clinic stamp or signature and address of medical provider
- Must have Student’s First and Last name.
- Must have Student’s Date of Birth.
- All documents must include the students Unity id number.
Step 2. Complete the Health History and TB Questionnaire Forms Online
- Log into HealthyPackPortal
- Select the Forms tab
- Complete both your Health History Form and TB Questionnaire
*Please note that the TB Questionnaire is only available on the HealthyPackPortal after you register for classes*
Not Required to meet Immunization Admission Compliance but Highly Recommended Vaccines
- Hepatitis A Vaccine
- HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) Vaccine
- Meningitis A,C,W,Y Vaccine (If you had a single dose before age 15, a booster is recommended).
- Meningitis B Vaccine
- Varicella (Required if born after April 1, 2001 or positive titer or date of disease)
To Contact our Immunizations Department
Phone Number: 919-513-4302
HealthyPack Portal Secure Messaging: You can initiate a message to the Immunization Coordinator by selecting “Compose New” and choose Immunization Coordinator from the drop down menu. Compose message and send.
Hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Tues: 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Authorization to Release Protected Health Information (HIPAA Release)
Students over the age of 18 are protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. If you would like to give your parent or guardian permission to access your medical records, you can complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form on the HealthyPack Portal under the Forms tab. This form can be completed at the check in kiosk at Student Health. This form can be completed at any time during the students enrollment and does not need to be completed prior to the first day of class.
You can submit this authorization document by:
- Fax: 1.888.972.4151
- Email: MedicalRecords@ncsu.edu
- Mail (Student Health Services Attention: Medical Records 2815 Cates Avenue Raleigh, NC 27695)
- Drop it off at Student Health Services
Click here for instructions on how to complete this form.
Consent to Treat Form
This form is completed if you are a parent or guardian of a student under the age of 18 after the first day of class. Prior to any care being given at Student Health, parents or guardians must complete the Consent to Treat. This form can be found on the HealthyPack Portal under the forms tab. Once the form has been completed, it can be uploaded to the HealthyPack Portal under the Upload Tab. Choose “Parental Consent for Treatment” from the drop down menu, select the correct file and upload.
Helpful Health Tips:
- Student Health Contact Info – Add our number (919.515.2563) to your contact list in your phone
- Insurance Card – Take a photo of all of your health insurance cards (medical, pharmacy, dental) to keep in your cell phone
- Schedule an initial visit at Student Health – Whether you have a chronic condition or are in need of an annual check-up, schedule a visit to get established as a patient.
- Dental Exam – Schedule a dental cleaning and screening with Campus Smiles located on campus
- Over the Counter Medications – Visit our retail Pharmacy to purchase first aid kits and over-the-counter medicine needs
- Allergy Serums – Transfer allergy serums and orders over to our Allergy Clinic to avoid interruption of care
- Follow us on our social media for updates and events: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
To learn more about the services offered at NC State Student Health, check out our Care Provided page.
Myths About Student Health:
- I don’t have Student Blue so I can’t use Student Health.
- Not true! A Student Health fee is included in your tuition and fees. This allows eligible students access to the services offered at Student Health.
- Student Health doesn’t have real doctors.
- Student Health is staffed with experienced, board-certified physicians and licensed professionals.
- I cannot have my prescriptions filled at the SHS pharmacy if a Student Health provider didn’t prescribe it.
- We fill prescriptions from both on and off-campus providers! We will gladly help you arrange prescription transfers as well. We accept most insurances.
- The only way to schedule an appointment at Student Health is to schedule through the HealthyPack Portal.
- Not true! HealthyPackPortal, is an online patient portal where students can schedule appointments, refill prescriptions and complete forms. However, if you cannot find an appointment that works with your schedule, please call 919.515.2563 to check availability.
- If you send your charges to your student account, your parents/guardians will know why you went to Student Health.
- Your privacy is protected when you come to see us. Your charge will appear as a “Health Services” on your student account and will not give the reason of your visit. Filing insurance does work a little differently. We do advise that insurance Explanation of Benefits, if received by your parents, may have more specific details about your visit such as what labs were performed or what diagnosis was given. A self-pay option is available and those charges can be found here.
Orientation Presentation & Handout
If you misplaced your Student Health Services Orientation Handout or would like an electronic copy, you can view it here.